I’m excited to announce that I’ll be joining the Scottish Poetry Library team as part of their brand new Ambassadors program. The poet Katie Ailes and I will be sharing information about the library on social media and also bringing you news about poetry events happening all over Scotland. You can follow us on Twitter at @SPL_Ambassadors and follow the Poetry Library at @ByLeavesWeLive.
What is the Scottish Poetry Library, you ask?? Well, it’s a pretty great place…
The SPL is an awesome national resource and an advocate for the art of poetry. It is one of three poetry libraries in the UK and their mission is to bring the pleasures and benefits of poetry to as wide an audience as possible. They do this in lots of different ways including:
- Housing an extensive lending library (from books to CDS to literary journals)
- Podcast interviews with poets
- Events at the library (featuring local poets and those from across the world)
- Reading groups
- Engaging in interesting projects (such as Tools of the Trade, a pocket-sized anthology of poems edited by and for doctors).
- Any poetry-related inquiries you have (such as tracking down a ‘lost poem’, if you can only remember a few lines of it, or helping you chose a poem for a special occasion like a wedding!)
In short, the library is much more than a physical space. It’s an important organization that shares poetry with everybody.
I’ve also had a chance to get a sneak peak inside the newly renovated library building in Edinburgh and y’all, it’s beautiful! The space is bright and airy and I could happily have spent hours getting lost amongst the shelves.
So come visit or get in touch. See you at the Scottish Poetry Library!